Campaigners win bid to block more trees being chopped down in Plymouth after 110 were felled
Campaigners have won a bid to continue a High Court injunction preventing the further felling of trees in Plymouth city centre.
A row over the cutting down of more than 100 trees last week caused public outcry and triggered the resignation of the city council’s leader Richard Bingley.
Campaign group Save The Trees Of Armada Way says the trees, of which 19 are still standing, should be protected due to the wildlife and biodiversity they support.
At the High Court in London on Friday, Sir Ross Cranston backed protesters’ bid to keep the injunction in place pending a full legal challenge over the council’s actions.
The judge said: ‘The injunction will continue, the remaining trees cannot be felled at least for the time being’.
In his decision, which was met by applause by protesters in the court room, the judge added that already toppled trees, fallen branches and stumps can be removed but subject to expert report.
Speaking outside the Royal Courts of Justice following the decision, Alison White said: ‘We are really happy with the decision today to uphold our injunction and keep the remaining trees safe from Plymouth City Council and its chainsaws.
‘The decision by Plymouth City Council to come to court today to try and overturn our injunction despite almost universal condemnation of their actions last week is staggering and gives you an indication of what we have been up against these last six months.
Source of data and images: dailymail