Sonny Bill Williams has ‘near death experience’
Sonny Bill Williams has narrowly escaped being crushed to death after a weightlifting mishap inside his home gym.
On Wednesday, the former NRL star-turned-heavyweight boxer, 37, spoke out about the ‘near death experience’.
Williams revealed that he was squatting 120kg, when he was almost crushed after misjudging the placement of the bar holders.
The incident was captured entirely on video, showing the terrifying moment the barbell set narrowly misses Williams’ head and neck as he ducks out of the way.
Williams described the incident as a ‘near death experience’ on social media.
‘I’ve been saying Alhumdulliah all day the kids weren’t in the garage. If you’re doing squats at home and putting weight on I’d suggest buying a cage,’ he said.
Alhamdulillah is an Arabic phrase, meaning ‘praise to god,’ sometimes translated as ‘thank god.’
The 37-year-old is a devout Muslim, and regularly uses social media to express his faith.
Sonny Bill Williams (pictured) escaped injury during a weight lifting mishap at his home gym
Williams’ fans expressed their relief that the boxer was unharmed during the mishap.
‘Take it easy SBW! Hope you’re well,’ wrote one.
Another wrote: ‘Stay safe brother.’
‘Allah Allah! I hope you didn’t get hurt. Stay safe brother,’ added a third.
A number of followers urged the sports star to use a much stabler squatting rack.
SPC Performance Lab owner Paul Attard told Daily Mail Australia that weightlifters needed to be extra careful when lifting alone.
‘Your face and your neck are you most vulnerable spots on your body,’ he said.
If the rack hit his head or neck, it could have caused a serious injury or even death.
Just last year, a woman was tragically crushed to death in a gym after a 181kg barbell fell on top of her neck.
Surveillance video captured inside the training facility shows the woman stepping under the barbell, which appears to have at least four weighted plates on each end.
She seems to have control of the heavy barbell for about four seconds, but then it drops over onto her neck, causing her to slump toward the ground.
Paramedics from the Red Cross found the woman with no vital signs and declared her dead at the scene.
In 2017, a 15-year-old Brisbane boy died in hospital three days after being crushed by a 98 kilogram weight while working out at his local gym.
Ben Shaw was reportedly stuck for up to 30 minutes beneath the heavy barbell after it fell on his neck.
Left with serious injuries the 15-year-old was rushed to hospital, before his family was forced to make the heartbreaking decision to turn off his life support.
The incident comes as Sonny Bill Williams ramps up his training routine, as rumours of a fight against Paul Gallen gain traction
Williams’ fans expressed their relief that the boxer was unharmed before imploring him to invest in a squat rack
Talk of a Sonny Bill Williams-Paul Gallen bout finally happening are starting to gain traction
The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that Gallen has had an informal chat with executives at Stan, with Williams agreeing to the bout – and now the only sticking point is money.
The former Sharks star believes it should be a 50-50 split, and won’t accept that Williams should get a larger share.
Williams announced earlier this year that he wouldn’t be retiring from boxing after a brutal knockout loss to Mark Hunt, but won’t be fighting Gallen – calling him a ‘narcissist’ who he ‘can’t stand’.
‘With that guy, I can’t really stand him, the narcissistic type of man,’ Williams explained.
‘For me, those types of guys aren’t in my circle. It’s not that I don’t respect what he has done in the sport, but as a man, I wouldn’t ever say we would be friends or let a guy like that in my circle.
‘Am I willing to give him a hiding and make some money off it? Of course. But he’s retired, so good on him. He’s done well, he has come out and said he has made all this money and whatever it is, so good on him.’
Reports say Gallen (pictured beating Lucas Browne) has had an informal chat with executives at Stan about the bout
Gallen, whose last fight was a victory over former Maroons star Justin Hodges, was stunned by Williams’ latest comments, and says the former All Black has no right to judge him as a person.
Furthermore, Gallen believes if they ever stepped into the ring together he’d be the bigger draw and should receive more of the earnings.
‘He says he’s the drawcard and it’s a payday for everyone else. There’s no way I’m fighting him unless I get the lion’s share. I’m the one coming out of retirement, I’m the one who’s had bigger fights,’ Gallen told Wide World of Sports.
‘I don’t know what to make of it all. As a person who feels he’s so holy and nice I’m just amazed by his comments.
‘I’ve never passed judgement on him as a person. The worst thing I’ve said about him is he’s scared of fighting me.’
Source of data and images: dailymail