Pele downplays health issues in Instagram post, saying he’s in hospital for a ‘monthly visit’
Brazilian football legend Pele said in an Instagram post on Thursday that he is in hospital for a monthly visit and thanked his supporters for the positive messages he has received.
The 82-year-old former striker, known as one of the greatest players of all time, posted a photo of his face projected onto a building in Qatar, alongside a message that read “Get well soon.”
“Friends, I’m in the hospital for my monthly visit,” he said in the post. It’s always nice to get such positive messages. Thanks to Qatar for this tribute, and to everyone who sends me good vibes!’
On Tuesday, Pele was admitted to a hospital in Sao Paulo to re-evaluate cancer treatment after having a tumor removed from his colon in September 2021.
Pele, who led Brazil to three World Cup titles – 1958, 1962 and 1970 – has struggled with health issues in recent years but has remained active on social media.
Last month, he said he hoped Brazil’s national side would capture a record-extending sixth title in Qatar.
Pele is one of the greatest footballers of all time, winning three World Cups with Brazil
Pele announced in an Instagram post that he was only in the hospital for a ‘monthly visit’
The 82-year-old, who is currently being treated for metastatic cancer, was admitted to Albert Einstein Hospital on Tuesday with swelling all over his body and heart problems.
It was also reported that his chemotherapy treatment is no longer working and Pele suffered mental confusion after being admitted.
However, an update from the hospital said the three-time World Cup winner did not need to be admitted to an intensive care unit [ICU].
A statement issued to the Brazilian media said: ‘After medical evaluation, the patient was taken to a common room, without the need for hospitalization in a semi-intensive unit or ICU.
“The former player has full control of vital signs and [in a] stable clinical condition.’
Brazilian football legend Pele, 82, is in a ‘stable condition’ in hospital and not in intensive care after being admitted on Tuesday with ‘swelling and heart failure’
The hospital confirmed that Pele had been hospitalized “for a re-evaluation of chemotherapy treatment of the colon tumor set in September 2021.”
There is no timetable for Pele’s hospital stay and his wife Marcia Aoki and caretaker are at his bedside.
However, Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento, who is not in Brazil, had insisted on Tuesday that there was no need to panic and that her father’s hospitalization is “not a surprise or an emergency.”
She posted on Instagram: “Today a lot of alarm in the media about my father’s health. He is in the hospital arranging medication.
Pele’s wife and carer took him to hospital earlier this week, but his condition is now stable
Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento insisted there was no need to panic in a social media post
“There is no emergency or new dire prophecy. I’ll be there on New Year’s Eve and promise to post some pictures.’
Pele scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while scoring 77 goals in 92 caps for Brazil
Pele was hospitalized for six days last year and underwent surgery to remove a tumor in his colon. Brazil’s Globo news site said Pele was undergoing routine examinations at Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital when the secret problem was discovered.
Pele took to social media at the time, dispelling any fears about his health.
“My friends, thank you so much for the sweet messages,” he wrote on Instagram.
“I thank God that he feels very well and that he let Dr. Fabio and Dr. Miguel take care of my health.
‘Last Saturday I had surgery for a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumor was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.
‘Luckily I’m used to celebrating great victories with you. I go into this competition with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy in life surrounded by the love of my family and friends.’
Pele has been in poor health in recent years with a number of visits to the hospital
In 2020, Pele’s son said that his father was depressed due to his poor health and was reluctant to leave the house because he cannot walk unassisted, though Pele later publicly denied that statement.
The Brazilian had said: ‘I’m good. I will continue to accept my physical limitations in the best possible way, but I intend to keep the ball rolling.
‘I have good days and bad days. That’s normal for people my age. I’m not afraid, I’m determined, confident in what I’m doing.’
Pele is considered one of the greatest footballers in history and is the only player to win three World Cups.
He scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while also scoring 77 goals in 92 caps for Brazil.