Prince Harry denies he 'boasted' about killing 25 Taliban fighters in explosive memoir Spare
Prince Harry has furiously slammed down accusations that he ‘boasted’ about killing 25 Taliban fighters in his explosive memoir Spare – while accusing his critics of ‘spinning’ his words and spouting ‘lies’ about the revelation, which he says have put his family ‘in danger’.
The 38-year-old vehemently defended his decision to share the information as he sat down for an interview with The Late Show host Stephen Colbert – a pre-taped chat that was recorded on Monday night and is due to be aired in full this evening.
‘I think one of… the most dangerous lies that they have told is that I somehow boasted about the number of people I have killed in Afghanistan,’ he told Colbert.
‘I would say that if I heard anybody else, anyone, boasting about that kind of thing, I would be angry. But it’s a lie.
He added: ‘My words are not dangerous, but the spin of my words are very dangerous to my family.’
The Duke of Sussex faced serious criticism from politicians and senior former military members alike after leaked excerpts from his book – which were published after the book was accidentally released early in Spain – revealed his recollections of killing Taliban members while he was serving as an Apache helicopter pilot.
After the excerpts were published last week, former British Army commander Colonel Richard Kemp described Harry’s comments as ‘ill-judged’ warned that his admissions could cause pro-Taliban sympathizers to be ‘provoked to attempt revenge’ against him and possibly ‘incite some people to attempt an attack on British soldiers anywhere in the world’.
Meanwhile, former Royal Marine commando Ben McBean suggested the Duke had broken an ‘unwritten rule’ with his revelation.
Source of data and images: dailymail