Anantnag: Kokernag encounter over; LeT’s Uzair Khan among 2 killed

Cairo: Hani Kamal El-Din –

The Jammu and Kashmir police have called off the seven-day long operation in Kokernag area of Anantnag in southern Kashmir on Tuesday. Two militants, including an LeT commander, three army men and a police officer were killed here.

Additional Director General of Police of Kashmir, Vijay Kumar, reached the encounter spot along with GoC Chinar Corps, Lt Gen Rajiv Ghai, to review the situation on the ground. Kumar briefly interacted with reporters to inform them about the conclusion of one of the longest and high-casualty operations in recent years.

“The search operation will continue as many areas haven’t been searched yet. We found the body of LeT Commander (Uzair Khan) and retrieved it. We did spot another body. We had information on 2-3 terrorists. It is possible that we may find the third body somewhere. That’s why we will continue and complete the search operation of the whole area,” Kumar told reporters.

Khan(28), had left his home in Nagam village of Kokernag in July last year and never returned. The family filed a missing report and later security agencies informed them that he had joined the militant ranks.

The ADGP appealed to people not to go near the encounter spot as there could be many unexploded shells and grenades, which will be collected and destroyed. “We need to sanitise the whole area,” he said.

On September 13, when the gunfire started in the forests of Gadole area of Kokernag, two senior army officials Colonel Manpreeet Singh, Commanding Officer of the 19 Rashtriya Rifles, and Major Aashish Dhonchak from the same unit, and J&K police DySP Humayun Muzammil Bhat were killed in the initial gunfight.

On September 18 night, army officials informed that they have recovered the body of sepoy Pardeep Singh, who was also killed in the gunfight.

For more news: Elrisala ، For social communication, follow us on Facebook .

Source of data and images: indiatimes

Related Articles

Back to top button