World

Kevin Spacey will pay $1million to House of Cards makers to settle claims he sexually harassed young staffers on the Netflix hit he was fired from in 2017

Kevin Spacey will pay $1million to the makers of House of Cards to settle claims he sexually harassed young staffers on the show.

MRC, the production company behind the show, dropped Spacey from the final season of House of Cards in 2017 and tried to recoup the costs for scrapping the final season and replacing him. 

An arbitrator deemed the allegations by the young show employees credible and Spacey, who has always denied the allegations, faced a $31million judgment in the case.

But MRC and Spacey have now reached a settlement, which will see the actor pay only $1million (£791,000) – in installments equal to 10 per cent of his after-tax income – to the company over the next few years instead of the $36million he owed including interest, Puck reported.

In return, Spacey will help MRC in their attempt to recoup the costs from its insurance company.

MRC, the production company behind the show, dropped Spacey (pictured) from the final season of House of Cards in 2017 and tried to recoup the costs for scrapping the final season and replacing him

Kevin Spacey (left) in the show House of Cards, which he was fired from in 2017

Kevin Spacey (left) in the show House of Cards, which he was fired from in 2017 

MRC previously sued Fireman’s Fund and Lloyd’s of London, saying that Spacey’s absence from House of Card was covered under the cast insurance policies, which usually protect production companies if an actor gets too sick to perform.

But the lawsuit was thrown out twice last year since the judge did not believe Spacey allegedly checking himself into a treatment facility for sex addiction qualified as a claim under the policy.

‘The court is left with the conclusion that these policies just do not insure against this particular risk, and that neither party was really contemplating coverage for this sort of thing at the time the policies were signed,’ Judge Mark Epstein said at the time, according to Variety.

While the judge ruled that MRC can’t go after Lloyd’s anymore, the production company can change its lawsuit against Fireman’s Fund one more time, for which they have now been promised the help of Spacey.

One of the things the judge criticised in the suit was  that MRC did not clarify what exactly Spacey’s sickness is and how this would make him too sick to act in House of Cards.

Previously Spacey fought MRC attempt to access his medical records to answer these questions, but he promised to provide his medical records and let himself be examined by doctors as part of the settlement, which was reached on December 18.

A few weeks later, on January 2, MRC filed the newly amended suit against Fireman’s Fund. In it, it said Spacey could not act in the show because he was treated for anxiety and depression.

Fireman’s Fund again tried to have the lawsuit, which they branded as ‘bordering on the absurd’ thrown out.

The insurance company argued that MRC has changed its position significantly after it first claimed in the arbitration case against him that Spacey was dropped from the show for violating the sexual harassment policy – and not for his illness.

It further alleged that Spacey’s removal was due to Netflix’s announcement to not air any new House of Cards episodes with the actor, which allegedly forced MRC to drop him.

His lawyers reportedly sent separate emails to Netflix, with one allegedly denying Spacey was ill following the announcement. 

MRC is going after Fireman’s Fund for $150million as well as punitive damages for denying its initial claim. The trial is expected to start in June.

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “dailymail

Related Articles

Back to top button
Open chat
Hello
Can we help you?