Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is indicting seven migrants accused of attacking two New York City Police Department officers in Times Square.
Bragg announced the charges Wednesday afternoon, pinpointing the actions of each attacker to explain why he was bringing charges against them.
Up to 14 men are believed to have been involved in the attack, although NYPD officials have repeatedly revised the number of suspects.
Earlier on Wednesday, the NYPD announced they were on the hunt for two more migrants believed to be involved in a brutal assault against two NYPD officers in Times Square.
One of the migrants was seen wearing a red shirt and white hat during the January 27 attack. Police say he kicked the officers at least three times before throwing a punch.
The new second suspect wanted on assault charges was allegedly seen kicking officers while wearing a black puffer jacket and a red baseball hat.
Prior to Wednesday’s indictment, six suspects had been charged over the incident, which was caught on camera and sparked angry nationwide calls for deportations.
Five of the six initially charged were released with no bail, with only one suspect – Yohenry Brito, 24 – still behind bars.
Four of the five released – Darwin Gomez, Kelvin Servita, Wilson Juarez and Yorman Reveron, are believed to have fled New York City on a bus to California.
One of the migrants is seen wearing a red shirt and white hat during the January 27 attack. Police say he kicked the officers at least three times before throwing a punch
The new second suspect wanted on assault charges was allegedly seen kicking officers while wearing a black puffer jacket and a red baseball hat
Police sources previously said that four of the migrants charged in the Times Square attack may have fled the city after using fake names to obtain tickets from a charity
ICE initially said they had apprehended the four suspects in Phoenix, but the Manhattan district attorney’s office has denied they are the suspects believed to have fled.
DailyMail.com has reached out to ICE, the DA’s office and Border Patrol for comment on this story.
‘The four individuals they took into custody were not affiliated with the New York City investigation,’ a spokesperson for the Manhattan district attorney’s office said on Wednesday.
‘To date, we have not received any indication from federal authorities that they have detained anyone related to our case.’
Venezuelan national Yohenry Brito, 24, was arraigned in Manhattan criminal court on Thursday and is the only one of the suspects being held on bail at Rikers Island.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said the $15,000 cash bail or a $50,000 bond was warranted because Brito had been positively identified in video of the attack through a ‘distinct tattoo.’
Brito was already known to police over a series of past offenses, including charges of petty larceny for stealing $275 worth of goods from Bergdorf Goodman in October and $139 of clothing from Macy’s.
Darwin Andres Gomez (left) and Kelvin Servita Arocha were released without bail and are thought to have tried to flee
Wilson Juarez (left) and Yorman Reveron also fled: they are charged with ganging up on two cops in Times Square
ICE initially said they had apprehended the four suspects in Phoenix (pictured), but the Manhattan district attorney’s office has denied they are the suspects believed to have fled
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said the $15,000 cash bail or a $50,000 bond was warranted for him alone, because Brito had been positively identified in video of the attack through a ‘distinct tattoo.’
The sixth suspect charged, Jhoan Boada, 22, is thought to have remained in New York City.
Boada was photographed sticking his middle finger up at the press waiting outside court after his release.
New York City in particular has struggled under the weight of tens of thousands of migrants arriving at its borders in need of places to stay and other accommodations.
In 2023 alone, the city dealt with the arrival of more than 170,000 migrants.
Jhoan Boada, 22, was arrested in connection to the attack and was pictured leaving the courthouse with his middle fingers up at reporters and smirked
A sixth suspect, Yohenry Brito, 24, was arraigned in Manhattan criminal court on Thursday and is the only one of the suspects being held on bail. He remains in Rikers Island
Mayor Eric Adams has said the cost of the migrant crisis in New York City is an eye-watering $4.6 billion as he begs the state for more money.
New York state governor Kathy Hochul pledged to commit $2.4 billion to the crisis last month, which is more than double last year’s proposal.
But Adams claims this still isn’t enough to cover the cost of caring for tens of thousands of people who continue pouring in to the Big Apple ‘sanctuary city’.
‘We’re the economic engine of the state,’ Mr. Adams told lawmakers at the State Capitol in Albany on Tuesday.
‘And we’ve always been here for the state. We need the state now to be here for us in the city.’