Sports

Country football official resigns after vulgar social media posts

The AFL declined to comment.

The league said in a statement on Tuesday that it had been made aware of the comments on Power’s social media account.

“The RDFNL had no prior knowledge of these comments. Following a brief review, Andrew Power and the RDFNL mutually agreed that his personal views are not aligned with the values of the League, its Board, and staff,” the statement said.

“Andrew has resigned from his position as Vice President effective immediately.

“We thank him for his service over many seasons and wish him well for the future.

“The RDFNL does not condone or support the behaviour reflected in those comments and apologises for any distress caused to members of our community.”

Power’s resignation follows a 12-month dispute between the Kyneton women’s team and the RDFNL. The women’s side defected from Kyenton Football Netball Club last year after claims over inequitable treatment and disrespectful conditions, and have been battling to find a new home.

In a separate incident, on December 21, Instagram media page Not All Clubs posted an alleged comment by RDFL President Brenton Knott in a private message to a supporter, later leaked to media, saying the situation was “not about footy, it’s about grooming and gender weirdness”.

The league has since said the message was a “falsified, photoshopped and doctored image”.

The comment was allegedly sent in response to a post discussing Kyenton’s application to join the Central Victorian Football League.

“You need to look at the other side. They don’t deserve anything — you’re advocating that any team that’s not happy breaks away,” said the alleged message, which has been seen by The Age.

“How is that manageable by the AFL? If you look at the principals [sic] in this — it’s not about footy, it’s about grooming and gender weirdness.

“You follow local footy so you need to see AFL Vic and RDFNL aren’t the bad ones here.”

On February 6, the RDFNL published a statement on their website and said Knott’s alleged comments were a “falsified, photoshopped and doctored image”. The AFL Integrity Unit has not announced an outcome of the investigation; the AFL was contacted for comment.

“The RDFNL and Brenton were not able to come out and deny these claims publicly during this time but can now confirm that these claims to be completely false and fake and both parties,” the organisation said.

“Brenton and the RDFNL can now begin the legal process of proceeding with defamation cases against those parties responsible for publishing these doctored images…”

On February 9, Kyneton representatives met with AFL executives to discuss alternative options for the team to play in a league after their application to join the CVL was blocked by the Riddell District Football Netball League – an appeal which was upheld by AFL Victoria.

The women’s team is waiting on an outcome.

MORE TO COME

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “brisbanetimes”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading