Prince William says he’s ‘not in a calm state’ as he arrives at the BAFTAs amid Andrew arrest drama: Prince of Wales says he’s not in right frame of mind to watch weepy contender Hamnet – as Kate reveals it left her in floods of tears

Prince William has said he is ‘not in a calm state’ to watch Hamnet after months of turmoil around his wife’s cancer and his uncle’s recent arrest.
Their glamorous appearance at the EE BAFTA Film Awards with his wife, the Princess of Wales tonight signalled a determination to put the Royal Family’s current difficulties to one side.
But it was clear that issues engulfing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor weren’t far from Prince William’s mind as he admitted he had not yet watched best picture nominee Hamnet because he ‘needed to be in a calm mood’.
Speaking on the carpet before the star-studded event at The Royal Festival Hall he said: ‘I need to be in quite a calm state and I am not at the moment. I will save it.’
But Catherine, he said, had watched the hugely emotional film on Saturday night and was left in ‘floods of tears’.
Hamnet tells the story of the tragic death in childhood of Shakespeare’s son and the grief of his parents.
‘I thought it was a bad idea, actually,’ the princess joked of watching the film before the ceremony. ‘Ended up with very puffy eyes. It was so beautifully shot. The music as well. The score is fantastic.’
The Princess looked stunning in pink floor-length Gucci gown, which she previously wore to a 100 Women in Finance Gala back in 2019, with her long hair curled wild and loose.
William wore a complementary dark red velvet tuxedo jacket that matched his wife’s velvet belt and clutch bag.
They were joined by stars including Leonardo DiCaprio, Timothée Chalamet, Emma Stone, Cillian Murphy, Glenn Close and Ethan Hawke on the red carpet before the black-tie ceremony hosted by Scottish actor Alan Cumming.
The Prince and Princess had walked the red carpet outside London’s Royal Festival Hall, where they were welcomed by Sir Kenneth Olisa, Lord Lieutenant of Greater London (right)
The Princess looked stunning in pink floor-length Gucci gown, which she previously wore to a 100 Women in Finance Gala back in 2019, with her long hair curled wild and loose
The couple were making their first joint appearance since Andrew’s dramatic arrest last week. The Prince and Princess of Wales take their seats at the BAFTA Film Awards
Kate was supported by her fiancé Danny Fujikawa as they arrived on the red carpet
Paul was in high spirits as he arrived on the red carpet hand-in-hand with Gracie
Adolescence star Erin Doherty was hard to miss in a quirky dark blue satin Louis Vuitton dress with a huge skirt peplum, teamed with a Chaumet necklace
After landing a nomination for Leading Actor for his performance in One Battle After Another, Leonardo DiCaprio was also among those on the red carpet
The Prince and Princess had walked the red carpet outside London’s Royal Festival Hall, where they were welcomed by Sir Kenneth Olisa, Lord Lieutenant of Greater London.
The Princess shared her appreciation of the Chloe Zhao film’s ‘presentation of intergenerational grief’.
She added: ‘We have a long list of films that we still need to get through.’
The couple were making their first joint appearance since Andrew’s dramatic arrest last week.
William said he had not yet seen Marty Supreme, starring Timothée Chalamet, and described the vampire movie Sinners as ‘a bit dark’.
‘I have seen One Battle After Another, that was very good. We were not expecting it to start the way it did,’ he said.
The Princess also revealed how Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis are now taking a greater interest in films.
Emily Stillman, Chair of Bafta’s Film Committee, told her: ‘Last time I saw you, you were pregnant with George and you were doing your Harry Potter spells.’
She was referring to the royal couple’s 2013 visit, along with Prince Harry, to the Warner Brothers studios in Hertfordshire, where they toured the set of Harry Potter with Prince Harry.
‘I was saying how much the children would love to look around,’ she replied.
‘They love the idea of going behind the scenes and finding out how it all happens.’
She also praised the studios for ‘showcasing all the different career opportunities’ there are in film.
William, Prince of Wales and Jane Millichip, CEO of BAFTA chat in the front row before the ceremony begins
Rose Byrne and Bobby Cannavale meet Catherine, Princess of Wales after walking the red carpet
The actor, who is favourite to win Leading Actor, was joined by his girlfriend after making his way inside the venue
Prince William, Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales take their seats as they attend the EE BAFTA Film Awards 2026 at The Royal Festival Hall
Catherine, Princess of Wales and Elaine Bedell (CEO, Southbank Centre) attend the 2026 EE BAFTA Film Awards
(L to R) Hannah Waddingham, William, Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales
Inside, they chatted to an all-female line up of BAFTA executives, CEO Jane Millichip and Chair Sara Putt, Chair of the Film Committee Emily Stillman and Emma Baehr, Executive Director Awards and Content.
Speaking again about Hamnet to Southbank Centre CEO Elaine Bedell and Allison Kirkby, CEO of sponsors BT Group, Catheine praised the child actors, saying: ‘The children did so well.’
She went on: ‘I loved the connection to nature.. it’s very stripped back and you see the human emotions.’
Again referring to her own children, she added: ‘The children are starting to get interested in films and it’s a really great way to have some of the hard conversations with them.’
The Prince has been President of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts since 2010 and the royal couple have been a regular fixture at the prestigious awards ceremony over the years. But the Princess has not attended for the past two years while recovering from her cancer diagnosis.
The couple sat in the front row for the ceremony, which was presented by Scottish actor Alan Cumming and featured musical performances from KPop Demon Hunters and Jessie Ware, who sang during a poignant In Memoriam segment.
There was laughter at one point as Cumming introduced The Crown star Erin Doherty to the stage, saying: ‘There can’t be many actresses who have played a terrifying gang leader Princess Anne and a terrified psychologist.
‘Sorry! That should be, terrifying gang leader, comma, Princess Anne and a terrified psychologist.’
The public engagement comes amid a tense time for the Royal Family, amid fresh calls for King Charles to reveal how much he knew about Andrew’s alleged misconduct prior to the arrest.
The monarch issued an unprecedented statement confirming his ‘wholehearted support and co-operation’ with the investigation into Andrew just hours after he was detained on Thursday – with Buckingham Palace understood not to have known the former Duke of York would be arrested.
Andrew pictured on the way back from Aylsham Police Investigation Centre following 11 hours of questioning after his arrest on Thursday
Police are now searching his former seven bedroom Windsor residence Royal Lodge. They have scope to widen their investigation if they find any evidence of other offences, senior criminal defence lawyer Marcus Johnstone said
King Charles has said he will grant police access to all files and records necessary for any investigations into his disgraced brother. In this Epstein file picture, Andrew appears to be leering over a woman on all fours in Epstein’s New York home
The King’s statement added: ‘I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
‘What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
‘Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.’
William and Kate are understood to support the King’s statement.
King Charles has said he will grant police access to all files and records necessary for any investigations into his disgraced brother.
The arrest came after Thames Valley Police said it was ‘assessing’ reports that Andrew shared confidential trade reports and investment opportunities to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein in 2010 and 2011 when he was the UK’s special trade envoy in Asia.
Andrew was questioned for 11 hours straight following his arrest and was pictured slumped in a Range Rover on his way out of Aylsham Police Investigation Centre.
He was taken from Wood Farm on the royal Sandringham estate in Norfolk where he was placed after he was evicted from his Windsor residence Royal Lodge by King Charles earlier this month.
Police searched Wood Farm and are now searching the seven bedroom mansion Royal Lodge as part of the investigation.
Police now have a wide leeway to broaden their investigation if they find any other crimes when combing the former prince’s files and possessions and will ‘follow the evidence’, The Observer reported.



