Reports

Oscar And BAFTA-Nominated Filmmaker Jafar Panahi Condemns “Murderous” Islamic Regime During First U.K. Visit In Two Decades

Acclaimed Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi, visiting London for the first time in 20 years, condemned the Iranian Islamic Republic for “murdering” student protesters in Tehran last month.

The director is in town to attend Sunday’s EE BAFTA Film Awards where his latest picture, It Was Just An Accident, is nominated in BAFTA’s Film Not in the English language category.

Through interpreter Iante Roach, Panahi explained that “unfortunately the [U.K.] government wouldn’t give me a visa. One of the many excuses that they employed was that I spent time behind bars, and I never really understood what they meant.” (Panahi has been in prison twice in Iran on the dubious charges of anti-government propaganda.)

He was speaking at a reception hosted by MUBI at Soho House on Dean Street in London for BAFTA voters.

Jafar Panahi at the MUBI-hosted BAFTA reception for It Was Just An Accident (Baz Bamigboye/Deadline)

Panahi spoke to guests about Islamic Republics using violence against peaceful protesters.

“Unfortunately, my country Iran is not in a good place today,” he said. “Actually, it’s going through its worst period. But this film [It Was Just An Accident] is a very good document. It’s a document that shows that the people of my country reject violence. And yet, unfortunately, violence is imposed on them by [those in] power.”

He added: “In the events that unfolded one month ago, 235 school students were murdered. That is of course 235 school students whose names have been found. There’s many other children whose whereabouts are completely uncertain. This really proves that the demonstrators were not violent demonstrators. Fathers and mothers went onto the street with their children.”

When he made the film, Panahi said that “what motivated me the most was to make a film at the heart of this regime looking at the future and asking: Can we have a future without violence?”

The filmmaker said that the production was a group effort “where everyone took great risks from actors to DoPs to sound recordists — every single person involved in the making of this film wanted to make an independent film and our greatest desire was to then share it with world audiences. Let us hope that more and more of these films will be made, and let us hope … that one day we will be in a world where the cycle of violence stops everywhere.”

Panahi said he will return to Iran even though “there are threats that I’ll be arrested. I do not fear what awaits me there.”

MUBI’s global distribution chief, Arianna Bocco, introduced Panahi and Philipe Martin, the Paris-based backer of several of Panahi’s films, to BAFTA members at the private reception.

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “deadline”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading