Reports

Police provide bombshell update on the search for Gus Lamont

Another family member of missing boy Gus Lamont is no longer cooperating with authorities, as the five-month investigation into the four-year-old’s disappearance widens. 

While Gus’s parents continue to assist police, two relatives previously involved in the inquiry are no longer cooperating, South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens confirmed on Wednesday. 

Previously, only one relative had withdrawn their support.

Commissioner Stevens also confirmed that detectives will continue working on the case ‘for the foreseeable future’ following a renewed search of neighbouring properties this week.

Asked whether arrests were likely soon, Commissioner Stevens said: ‘As with any major crime investigation, we don’t rest until we have a resolution.

‘Given the complexities, it is fair to assume we’ll be working on Gus’s disappearance for some time yet.’

He added that a wider search area would be cast for the missing boy.

‘Adjoining properties, including the national park, will form part of our investigation as we move forward,’ Commissioner Stevens said.

Another family member of missing South Australian boy Gus Lamont (pictured) is no longer cooperating with police investigating his disappearance

Gus disappeared from Oak Park Station (pictured) on September 27

Gus disappeared from Oak Park Station (pictured) on September 27

Gus vanished from his grandparents’ 60,000ha Oak Park Station in South Australia’s Mid North on September 27 last year and despite the largest police search operation in the state’s history, no trace of him has been found.

Earlier this month, South Australia Police announced they believed the four-year-old was dead, declared his disappearance as a major crime, and revealed they had identified a suspect within his family. 

However they stressed that Gus’s mother and father, Jessica Murray and Joshua Lamont, were not suspects. 

Following the police claims, Gus’ grandparents Shannon and Josie Murray both enlisted the services of high profile Adelaide defence lawyers.

‘We are absolutely devastated by the media release of SAPOL Major Crime,’ the pair’s statement read.

‘The family has co-operated fully with the investigation and want nothing more than to find Gus and reunite him with his mum and dad.’ 

On Monday, police arrested and charged Gus’s grandmother, 75-year-old Josie Murray, with firearm offences. Police said the charges are not connected to Gus’s disappearance.

Murray was bailed to appear in Peterborough Magistrates Court in May.

A freshly cemented outhouse

A cadaver dog on the property

A freshly cemented outhouse (left) at a neighbouring property was searched by cadaver dogs (right) on Tuesday

Shannon Murray

Josie Murray

Gus’ grandparents Shannon (left) and Josie Murray (right) both enlisted the services of high profile Adelaide defence lawyers after police declared his disappearance as a major crime earlier this month

Gus' grandmother Josie Murray (pictured with police) was arrested and charged with firearm offences on Monday. The charges are not related to the boy's disappearance

Gus’ grandmother Josie Murray (pictured with police) was arrested and charged with firearm offences on Monday. The charges are not related to the boy’s disappearance

No arrests have been made or charges laid in relation to Gus’ disappearance. 

Police have searched every accessible area within a 2.5km radius of the home before extending efforts up to 15km beyond the property using police, SES crews, volunteers, aerial assets, motorbikes, ATVs and specialist technology.

On Tuesday, officers and cadaver dogs brought in from New South Wales inspected a water tank and a freshly cemented outhouse at a sheep station owned by Gus’ family located 30km west of Oak Park Station. 

They then moved to a second property at Grampus, about 24km from Oak Park, where Task Force Horizon detectives were seen scouring the homestead and surrounding areas.

It was announced on Tuesday evening that the search had concluded and that no new discoveries were made.

‘The search covered numerous buildings and structures at Oak Park Station and at several locations adjoining the property. (It) involved Polair and a cadaver dog from interstate to assist in locating human remains. Unfortunately, no evidence was located during the intensive searches,’ a police spokesperson said.

‘Task Force Horizon detectives have not ruled out returning to Oak Park Station as the investigation continues.’

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “dailymail

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading