Military

UK PM Starmer blocks Trump from using RAF bases to strike Iran amid escalating tensions: Report

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer blocked Donald Trump from using RAF bases to carry out strikes on Iran, amid rising tensions between the United States and Tehran over its refusal to sign a deal aimed at curbing its nuclear programme.

According to a report by The Telegraph, the US president was believed to have withdrawn his support for Starmer’s Chagos Islands agreement following the British government’s refusal to grant consent for the use of UK military bases to launch bombing operations.

The US had reportedly begun drawing up contingency plans for a direct attack on Iran, deploying long-range bombers and aerial refuelling aircraft to the Middle East in recent days. Defence officials were said to have informed Trump that the country would be ready for military action by Saturday, marking the largest American military build-up in the region since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Any US strike on Iran was likely to involve the Diego Garcia base in the Chagos Islands, a British overseas territory that the UK is planning to hand over to Mauritius, as well as European airbases in allied countries, according to the media report.

While the US does not require specific approval to operate from Diego Garcia under existing defence arrangements, it must seek the consent of the United Kingdom government before using RAF bases for military operations.


On Wednesday, Trump told the UK to “remain strong in the face of wokeism” and not to “give away” the Chagos Islands. Posting on Truth Social, the US president said: “Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime.”

Trump’s comments were understood to be a reference to a US request for permission to launch long-range bombing runs from RAF Fairford, a military base in Gloucestershire that hosted US air force personnel.However, the UK had yet to give consent owing to concerns raised by govt lawyers, first reported by The Times, that participating in the strikes could be a breach of international law.

Trump issues fresh warning:

Amid a massive US military buildup in the Middle East that has fueled fears of a wider war, Trump said negotiations with Iran to end the tense standoff were going well but insisted Tehran has to reach a “meaningful” agreement.

“Otherwise bad things happen,” Trump, who has repeatedly threatened to attack Iran, told ‌the first meeting of his ⁠Board of Peace ⁠in Washington.

Trump spoke of the U.S. airstrikes carried out in June, saying Iran’s nuclear potential had been “decimated,” adding “we may have to take it a step further or we may not.”

“You’ll be finding out over the next probably 10 days,” he said. Asked later to elaborate, he told reporters aboard Air Force One: “I would think that would be enough time, 10, 15 days, pretty much maximum.”

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “economictimes.indiatimes”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading