USA

Iran-Trump live: US military ‘ready to strike’ as White House warns Tehran to take a deal

Why is the US threatening Iran?

The US has threatened Iran with military action since January, as the regime cracked down on anti-government protests sweeping the nation.

Renewed threats followed a warning from Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Tehran was reconstituting nuclear facilities bombarded by the United States last summer.

The US and Israel accuse Iran of trying to build nuclear weapons with its enrichment programme, which it denies.

Last year, talks to resolve the dispute broke down when Israel attacked Iran. The US later joined in, striking the major nuclear facilities at Natanz, Isfahan and Fordow.

US intelligence later assessed Iran’s nuclear programme had only been set back by a matter of months. Trump has since refused to rule out more strikes if a diplomatic resolution cannot be reached.

James Reynolds19 February 2026 09:00

Will the US strike Iran?

The United States said overnight that despite some progress in talks with Iran in Geneva this week, the two countries remain far apart on some key issues.

Diplomats are trying to find a peaceful resolution to a longstanding dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme, but the US has refused to take the option of military action off the table.

A senior US official said a massive military build-up in the Middle East should be ready by mid-March. Sources told CBS that forces would be ready for strikes as soon as Saturday.

Donald Trump indicated he may need to use UK military bases to launch strikes against Iran.

“Should Iran decide not to make a deal, it may be necessary for the US to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime,” he said.

James Reynolds19 February 2026 08:49

It comes as tensions continue to grow between the US and Iran, after the two countries held indirect nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday.

Before the talks, Donald Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One: “I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal.”

A Trump adviser told Axios: “The boss is getting fed up. Some people around him warn him against going to war with Iran, but I think there is 90 per cent chance we see kinetic action in the next few weeks.”

Sam Rkaina19 February 2026 08:42

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “independent”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading