World

Bondi Beach attack suspect gives single-word answers in first court appearance

A man accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest mass shooting in three decades at Bondi Beach last year has appeared in court for the first time.

Naveed Akram, 24, faces 59 charges in relation to the attack on a Jewish event at Sydney’s Archer Park that killed at least 15 people and injured dozens on Sunday 14 December.

Mr Akram appeared via video link on Monday at the Downing Centre Local Court and spoke briefly, mostly in single-word answers.

The magistrate extended suppression orders which were made late last year to protect the identities of victims and survivors after they opted not to be publicly identified.

Mr Akram and his father Sajid Akram are accused of targeting Jewish people celebrating Hanukkah in an anti-semitic attack that sent shockwaves around the world. It was Australia’s worst mass shooting since 1996, and the worst terror attack targeting Australians since the 2002 Bali bombings.

Sajid Akram was shot dead by police at the scene.

Mr Akram, who was wearing a green jumper and sat with his hands on his lap, only spoke after deputy chief magistrate Sharon Freund asked if he had been listening to a discussion about an extension of suppression orders.

“Did you just hear what I just said?” Ms Freund asked. Mr Akram replied: “Yeah.”

His Legal Aid solicitor, Ben Archbold, later asked the magistrate for time to speak with his client.

“Mr Akram, your solicitor is going to give you a call after,” the magistrate said. “Yep,” the accused replied.

Mr Archbold said it was too early to confirm what plea his client would enter and he was yet to receive the brief of evidence.

Speaking to reporters outside the court, he said his client was “as well as can be expected” as he remains in the Goulburn supermax prison in New South Wales.

“Everyone knows it’s supermax … very onerous conditions,” Mr Archbold said.

Asked if Mr Akram had given an interview to the police, he said: “All we’ve done is start the process. We’re waiting for the brief to be served. There’s nothing more I can say.”

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “independent”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading