What now for Sarah Ferguson? Whereabouts of Andrew’s ex-wife and daughters remain unknown as former prince is arrested over public misconduct claims

Questions are mounting over Sarah Ferguson’s future after her ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at Sandringham today.
The former Duchess of York, 66, has been lying low amid growing outrage over her ties to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein and is recently said to have spent time with friends in the French Alps before moving on to the United Arab Emirates.
She has also been spending time with her youngest daughter, Princess Eugenie, 35, who has been in the region for work, attending an art fair in Doha, Qatar, in her role as a director at dealer Hauser and Wirth.
But Fergie, who, along with her former husband Andrew, has become a pariah in Britain, has not been seen in public since September 25 last year, when she was photographed being driven out of Royal Lodge.
Until recently, the disgraced pair – who Fergie once described as the ‘happiest divorced couple in the world’ – continued to live together at Andrew’s vast Windsor mansion, a staggering three decades after their split.
But her future was plunged into further uncertainty today after Andrew, the eighth in line to the British throne, who turns 66 today, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and is being held in custody.
Multiple unmarked police cars were seen swooping on Andrew’s new home in Sandringham, Norfolk, where he has been living since he and Sarah were forced out of Royal Lodge.
This is the first time the former prince, who has faced several allegations relating to convicted sex offender Epstein, has been arrested.
Detectives are now carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, Thames Valley Police said. It is not confirmed which properties are being searched but Royal Lodge is in Windsor, Berkshire, while his new home, Wood Farm, is in Sandringham, Norfolk.
Andrew’s dramatic arrest comes in stark contrast to his ex-wife, Sarah, who has been keeping a low profile since leaving Royal Lodge.
Sarah Ferguson was last pictured being driven out of Royal Lodge on September 25, 2025
Meanwhile, on September 16, she attended the funeral of Katharine, Duchess of Kent, at Westminster Cathedral with Andrew
Princess Eugenie with her friend Caroline Daur, 30, at an art fair in Doha, Qatar. Fergie has been spending time in the region with her youngest daughter, 35, who has been there for work
Your browser does not support iframes.
It comes after emails between the ex-duchess and Epstein show her repeatedly chasing him for money to pay off her debts, as well as practical support over a considerable period of time.
They contain evidence she remained in close contact with him after he was released from prison for sex offences against children, even taking her two daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, to have lunch with him five days after his release.
She also privately issued a grovelling apology to Epstein for publicly denouncing him, claiming she had done so only to protect her career as a children’s author.
She told him he had been a ‘steadfast, generous and supreme friend’.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told the Daily Mail today: ‘Sarah Ferguson has no future at all. She’s shamed and her businesses are closed down, and certainly no charity would touch her and a great deal more will come out. We’re not at the end.
‘A little quiet and humility would be a good idea but it’s not in her temperament. This is very serious and you never know where it could go.
‘She should be extremely concerned about what has come out.’
Speaking on Andrew’s arrest, Mr Fitzwilliams added: ‘It is an unprecedented crisis, particularly because it has been allowed to go on for so long.
‘It will cause enormous concern at the Palace.’
As the fallout continues, friends believe Fergie may conclude that the only place where her former royal status may still open doors is in the Middle East.
Earlier this week, royal author Andrew Lownie, who wrote a damning book on the scandal-hit couple called Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York, said he believes that multi-millionaires in Dubai and the surrounding countries of Bahrain and Qatar will probably already be bankrolling Fergie.
He said: ‘In Britain neither Sarah or Andrew will be socially accepted again whatever they try to do or wherever they go. But in the Middle East no one will care about what they have got up to.
‘There are people there – royalty, politicians and business types – whom Sarah can quite happily sponge off and who will be happy to bankroll both of them.
Questions are mounting over what could now happen to Sarah Ferguson after her ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at Sandringham today
‘These types of people in the Middle East simply couldn’t care less what Sarah has done. And even if she doesn’t have her title of the Duchess of York anymore, she will still be seen as royalty and treated as such – and she knows it.’
Last week, the Daily Mail reported that Eugenie had left the UK for Qatar, where she was working at a high-end contemporary art fair in Doha.
She and Beatrice are said to be ‘aghast’ at their mother’s embarrassing tranche of emails to Epstein.
Sources close to the sisters also said they are ‘appalled’ and ’embarrassed’ about the photos of their father crouching over a mystery woman lying on the floor in Epstein’s New York mansion.
Despite the deepening scandal, Eugenie smiled as model Caroline Daur, 30, put a comforting arm around the princess, who, with her older sister, Beatrice, was dragged into Epstein’s orbit by their mother and father.
Ms Daur, known as Caro to her friends, tagged Eugenie at Art Basel 2026, with the caption: ‘REUNION!!! It’s been too long’. The annual art fair in Qatar was also attended by Sir David Beckham and Angelina Jolie.
Andrew’s ex-wife and his two daughters will no doubt be rocked by his high-profile arrest today.
It comes as King Charles gave police his ‘wholehearted support and co-operation’ after his brother was arrested.
‘I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,’ the monarch said.
‘What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
‘Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
‘As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all’.
The Prince and Princess of Wales are understood to support the King’s statement.
A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: ‘As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
‘The man remains in police custody at this time.
‘We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.’
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: ‘Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
‘It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
‘We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.’

.png?w=390&resize=390,220&ssl=1)

