Fashion designer Marc Jacobs sparks outrage after saying he would dress Luigi Mangione for UnitedHealthcare CEO murder trial: ‘Shameful’

Fashion designer Marc Jacobs has faced backlash on social media after he said he would style admitted killer Luigi Mangione for a potential state trial in New York in the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.
Jacobs, 63, made the admission in a segment for Vanity Fair in which he was administered a lie detector test and asked a series of questions – some involving Mangione, 28.
After it was noted that Winona Ryder, Lil’ Kim and Courtney Love had worn the designer’s outfits to their respective court trials, Jacobs was asked if he would be open to styling Mangione, to which he said, ‘Yes.’
When asked in the segment how he would style Mangione, Jacobs said, ‘I think he looks pretty good the way he dresses, actually.’
Jacobs subsequently agreed with the assessment that Mangione is a fashion ‘trendsetter’ after the interviewer told him that the retailer Nordstrom had sold out of burgundy sweaters after Mangione donned one in a late 2024 arraignment.
The Daily Mail has reached out to representatives for Jacobs and Mangione’s attorneys for further comment on the story.
Fashion designer Marc Jacobs, 63, had been facing backlash on social media after he said he would style admitted killer Luigi Mangione, 28, for his forthcoming state trial in New York in the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson. Jacobs pictured in 2023 in NYC
Mangione seen at a December 12, 2025 evidence hearing in NYC
A number of users on X stated their anger toward Jacobs following the exchange, appearing to accuse the designer of being vapid and tone-deaf amid his stated willingness to outfit Mangione, who admitted last week to stalking and shooting Thompson in late 2024.
‘Hopefully Marc Jacobs will never have a loved one shot in the back by a deranged killer,’ one user remarked.
Another said, ‘You’d dress a man who killed a father of two children in broad daylight and then plead guilty and admitted it was planned ….. shameful as hell hope you rethink this and retract.’
One user vowed they would ‘never buy his clothes again’ after the admission, while another said Jacobs was out of his depth in answering the question.
‘Marc is a 63-year-old billionaire who sells $400 canvas bags to teenage girls, yet he’s acting like he’s the ultimate authority on courtroom optics,’ the user said. ‘Sit down, Marc. It’s a criminal trial, not a Paris afterparty.’
Another person commented, ‘lol these rich losers really think they’re the “resistance.”‘
Some users said that the overall tone of the discussion was uncomfortable, reframed around money and celebrity.
‘I don’t want to co exist with these people anymore,’ one person said, while another added that ‘the love for [Mangione] is so weird [as] he is a murderer.’
One user said the entire line of discussion lacked humanity.
‘This is called dark irony,’ the user said. ‘Just like UHC has treated human health as a transaction for profit maximization Jacobs is using the same transactional coldness to sell a few sweaters or suits. Both erase the human element.’
Jacobs and model Kate Moss seen at a May 2024 gala in NYC
Jacobs pictured with Cardi B in July of 2024 at his Fall 2024 show in NYC
Winona Ryder seen donning a Marc Jacobs ensemble while in court in LA in 2002
A number of users on X stated their anger toward Jacobs following the exchange
The discussion came days after a state murder trial faced an indefinite postponement ahead of a slated September 8 start date.
Mangione last Friday entered a guilty plea to stalking and killing Thompson outside of a Manhattan hotel on December 4, 2024.
U.S. Attorney Jamie McDonald said in a news release, ‘Today, Luigi Mangione admitted to stalking and murdering Brian Thompson on a Manhattan street in broad daylight. No grievance, political belief, or ideological cause can justify murder.
‘With today’s guilty plea, Mangione is being held accountable for a heinous crime that claimed an innocent life and drew national attention.’
Mangione’s legal team is attempting to have the case dismissed citing grounds of double jeopardy following last week’s developments.
On Monday, Judge Gregory Carro canceled the trial while setting an October 9 deadline for prosecutors in Manhattan to issue a reply in the state case, with a hearing on tap for December 10.
Mangione is slated to be sentenced in his federal case on December 18, with prosecutors indicating they would seek a life sentence in connection with his guilty plea.
