Irish premier says fatal Kildare crash the result of ‘irresponsible and dangerous act’

Ireland’s premier has said the horror fatal head-on crash involving a stolen vehicle was the result of “an irresponsible and dangerous act”.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said he was “shocked and saddened” at the horrific road crash on the M9 in Kildare on Sunday which saw five teenagers die and left four others seriously injured.
Mr Martin said that there can be ‘no tolerance’ for reckless driving, with such incidents, in some cases, “being done for likes on social media”.
The five teenagers that died were all occupants of one of the vehicles, while one of those seriously injured is a child.
A body representing rank-and-file members of Ireland’s police service An Garda Síochána said an instruction had been given not to pursue the vehicle the wrong way down the motorway.
He said: “This is the second appalling crash we’ve seen on our roads in a matter of days as a result of the reckless driving of a car on the wrong side of the motorway, endangering the lives of innocent road users.”
He added: “My thoughts and prayers are with the family who have been injured.
“I wish them a full recovery.
“The lives of five teenagers have also been lost as a result.
“Every death on our roads brings untold grief to families and communities.
“There can be no tolerance for this reckless behaviour that we have seen on our roads recently.
“It must stop.”
Mr Martin thanked emergency personnel who attended the “devastating scene” and said he would be speaking to the Minister for Justice and to An Garda Síochána about the matter.
The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said its members were “all in shock” after the “horrific incident”.
