USA

LAPD cop tells Tupac murder trial Diddy was behind shooting plot: Live updates

A retired Los Angeles Police Department detective told jurors on Wednesday that Duane ‘Keefe D’ Davis admitted Diddy tried to pay him for Tupac’s murder.

Ex-cop Darryn Dupree testified in Tupac’s murder trial that Davis told police Diddy had tried to pay him to kill Tupac, allegedly using notorious Harlem gangster Eric ‘Von Zip’ Martin as a middleman. 

‘Sean Puffy Combs was supposed to have given money to Zip Martin to give to Mr. Davis for payment of the Tupac murder,’ he said, referring to FBI Task Force interview between Davis and Dupree in 2008.  

‘Fast forward, we go to Mr. Davis, he says he can rekindle that relationship with Mr. Zip Martin and talk about the money that was given from Sean Puffy Combs to Mr. Martin that never got to Mr. Davis,’ he said.  

Former South Side Compton Crips honcho ‘Keefe D’ is on trial for allegedly orchestrating the 1996 drive-by shooting that killed Tupac in retaliation for the rapper and his entourage’s attack on Davis’s nephew, Orlando Anderson.

Davis, the only person to ever be charged in the case, is facing one count of murder with the use of a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty and faces up to life in prison if convicted.

Follow the Daily Mail for more updates… 

Retired cop says Diddy tried to pay Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis for Tupac’s murder

Former LAPD detective Daryn Dupree testified in court Wednesday that Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis told police that Diddy had tried to pay him to orchestrate Tupac Shakur’s murder.

Dupree, who was on the FBI Task Force in 2008, sat down with Davis to confirm Diddy wanted to pay Davis to ‘get rid’ of his Death Row arch-rivals Tupac and Suge Knight.

Davis had been a federal informant for over a decade at the time he gave his interview, and agreed to offer information to the FBI and US Attorney’s Office for he Central District of California in efforts to avoid jail time for a drug charge.

In court this week, Dupree confirmed that Davis was meant to receive hit money from gangster Eric ‘Von Zip’ Martin through Diddy in 1996.

‘Sean Puffy Combs was supposed to have given money to Zip Martin to give to Mr. Davis for payment of the Tupac murder,’ he said, referring to the FBI Task Force interview between Davis and Dupree.

‘Fast forward, we go to Mr. Davis, he says he can rekindle that relationship with Mr. Zip Martin and talk about the money that was given from Sean Puffy Combs to Mr. Martin that never got to Mr. Davis,’ he said.

Former Los Angeles Police Department detective Daryn Dupree testifies during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S., August 19, 2026. David Becker/Pool via REUTERS
13248979 Sean Diddy Combs case may be linked to Tupac's murder - Federal raids on Sean 'Diddy' Combs' mansions could be linked to the recent arrest of a gangster for rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 murder, a former FBI agent who investigated the killing told DailyMail.com. Phil Carson, a retired head of the Los Angeles FBI office, said that information backing search warrants for Combs' LA and Florida mansions may have come from the alleged murder accomplice, Duane 'Keefe' Davis. Carson is an expert on hip-hop criminals and kingmakers of the 1990s, after spending years probing police corruption around the shootings of Shakur and his East Coast rap rival Biggie Smalls, AKA Christopher Wallace. In an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, he pointed to Davis' arrest on September 29 last year over his admitted involvement in Shakur's murder - which he claimed was a $1 million hit ordered by Combs, though the music producer denies it. Carson described how a looming life sentence could now be

Jurors hear 2008 police interview recording that will take hours

Jurors are being played a police interview recording from 2008 that is anticipated to take up the rest of the afternoon.

Court began at 1pm PST and is supposed to last until 5pm PST.

The recording features Duane Davis, former LAPD detective Daryn Dupree, Greg Kading, a retired homicide detective and more.

Witness Devonta Lee was a former DEA informant

During cross-examination, Lee testified that he was a DEA informant in 2006 who worked in the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) program following his incarceration.

He denied informing the program of any crime outside of the information he was asked to provide by the group, but admitted they targeted Duane Davis as a drug dealer.

Davis is seen shaking his head multiple times inside the courtroom.

Witness recounts the Lakewood Mall incident that preceded Tupac’s shooting

Devonta Lee recounted the afternoon that Orlando Anderson, also a member of the South Side Compton Crips, encountered trouble with Mob Piru and Death Row Records member Travon ‘Tray’ Lane at the Lakewood Mall in California.

As the group of Crips and Pirus noticed each other, they began to brawl.

Anderson and his associates snatched Lane’s Death Row Records medallion from around his neck.

The Lakewood Mall incident was the catalyst for Tupac and Death Row Records associates attacking Anderson at the MGM Grand hotel the night the rapper was shot.

Devonta Lee, an affiliate of the gang alliance South Side Compton Crips, testifies during Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on August 20, 2026. The trial of the former gang leader accused of orchestrating the murder of rapper Tupac Shakur began on August 10, 30 years after one of America's most high-profile unresolved killings. The proceedings, expected to last a month, will likely not make clear who fired the shots that killed the California hip-hop legend on the night of September 7, 1996, while he was in Las Vegas to see a Mike Tyson boxing match. (Photo by Steve Marcus / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)

First witness is called to the stand

A former member of the South Side Compton Crips, Devonta Lee, was called to testify after the jury was seated on Thursday.

He confirmed that he did not want to testify in the trial but he was court ordered to so. He was formerly affiliated with Crips associate Deandre ‘Big Dre’ Smith and Duane Davis’s nephew Orlando Anderson.

Lee said he joined the Crips in the nineties, and would have faced repercussions if he didn’t.

Denvonta Lee testifies in the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, in Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center, in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S., August 20, 2026. Steve Marcus/via REUTERS
Duane Davis enters the courtroom during his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, in Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center, in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S., August 20, 2026. Steve Marcus/via REUTERS

WATCH: Keffe D is arrested in connection with Tupac’s murder

Witness on Tupac rumor: ‘I would’ve killed him’

James McDonald, 61, described gang life in the 1990s to the prosecutors. He said that Tupac was someone he knew because he signed to Death Row Records and that he believed the rapper ‘inherited’ Suge Knight’s beef with others.

As questioning went on, McDonald said that he did not want to testify at the trial, and he had been forced to by a court order.

‘Living in Compton is one thing…but I told every attorney who tried to get me to come here “you better treat me like a hostile witness,”‘ he said.

Prosecutors addressed a rumor that Tupac had ‘knocked [him] out,’ to which McDonald swiftly replied: ‘I would’ve killed him. Him, Suge and my brother…I would’ve shot all three of them if they touched me. That’s how I was living.’

Defense attorney Michael Sanft cross examines James McDonald during the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. on Tuesday, August 18, 2026. John Locher/Pool via REUTERS

Tupac’s murder suspect placed gun in hands of the shooter in twisted bid to get revenge, attorney claims in first day of historic trial

The man accused of orchestrating Tupac Shakur’s murder personally handed the gun to the rapper’s killers in a twisted revenge plot, prosecutors alleged on Monday as one of America’s most notorious cold cases finally went before a jury.

Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis, 63, did not pull the trigger during the infamous 1996 Las Vegas drive-by, prosecutors conceded, but they claim he planned the retaliation, supplied the weapon and set in motion the shooting that killed the 25-year-old hip-hop icon.

‘Let’s be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation for the beating of his nephew,’ Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors.

‘Remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself.’

Embeded Article Preview Image

Jurors see Tupac Shakur’s autopsy photos

The state called on Dr Lisa Gavin, a forensic pathologist and medical examiner, to testify in court on Monday.

Although Dr Gavin was in medical school at the time of Tupac’s murder, she offered her professional opinion on his autopsy photographs.

The court saw pictures of Tupac’s body as Dr Gavin testified about the path of the bullets that entered his chest and abdomen that ultimately killed him.

Prosecutors noted that the rapper was ‘skinny’ when he was alive, but looked ‘bloated’ in death, which the medic confirmed was a result of expanded tissue.

Dr Gavin confirmed that the office had an affidavit from Tupac’s mother confirming that the body was that of her son and that he was dead.

The pictures were not broadcast to the public. Most of Tupac’s family members left the courtroom when the pictures were shown.

In cross-examination by the defense, Dr Gavin noted there were no records missing from the autopsy report, however, there were ‘few photos of the body itself,’ so ‘consequently, the crime scene analyst photos were helpful in order to come to a determination, in addition to the reports.’

Tupac Shakur at the Paris Theater in New York City, New York (Photo by Ron Galella/Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images)

Why is Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis on trial?

Prosecutors believe that Davis organized Tupac Shakur’s shooting in retaliation for an attack on his nephew Orlando Anderson at the MGM Grand Las Vegas in September 1996.

Lawyers argue that the pair’s rival gang affiliations were foundational to the motive for Shakur’s killing, as Davis was affiliated with the South Side Compton Crips and Shakur was affiliated with the Mob Piru gang.

Davis wrote about the events leading up to Shakur’s death in his 2019 memoir Compton Street Legend, detailing his life as a gang member, who was in his circle and who was present the night that Shakur was shot.

As a result of his book and a series of BET docuseries episodes that aired in 2017, in which Davis discussed the incident in detail, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department reopened the case.

Davis was indicted in 2023 on one count of murder with a deadly weapon in the rapper’s death, but prosecutors do not claim that he fired the fatal shots.

Duane Davis looks on during opening statements of his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court in the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on August 17, 2026. The trial of the former gang leader accused of orchestrating the murder of rapper Tupac Shakur began on August 10, 30 years after one of America's most high-profile unresolved killings. The proceedings, expected to last a month, will likely not make clear who fired the shots that killed the California hip-hop legend on the night of September 7, 1996, while he was in Las Vegas to see a Mike Tyson boxing match. (Photo by STEVE MARCUS / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)

Court to begin at 1pm PST/4pm EST

Due to the overseeing judge’s schedule/docket, court will not begin until 1pm PT/4pm EST today.

Wednesday was also a half day. There are a few days in the schedule over the month long trial that will require afternoon-only sessions.

Jurors will see ‘hours’ of video in court today

Prosecutors in Tupac’s murder trial said that they would present a five-hour video as evidence to the court on Thursday.

Jurors will be tasked with watching the footage as the state argues its case.

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “dailymail

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading