Republicans defeat Senate resolution to stop Trump’s strikes in Venezuela after frantic White House lobbying

Two Republicans rejoined the ranks of the GOP Senate caucus on Wednesday and voted to defeat a Democratic resolution aimed at constricting President Donald Trump from carrying out further military strikes within Venezuela.
Josh Hawley and Todd Young were two of five senators who broke with their party last week to support the resolution, but switched back on Wednesday after several days of intense lobbying that according to multiple reports lasted up until the very minute of the vote Wednesday evening.
Young and Hawley both told reporters on Wednesday that the keys to their votes being won by the White House were assurances from top officials that despite the president’s threats to send in ground troops or carry out further strikes, the administration had no plans on doing so. Vice President JD Vance cast the tiebreaking vote, after the chamber was deadlocked at 50-50.
“I have received assurances that there are no American troops in Venezuela. I’ve also received a commitment that if President Trump were to determine American forces are needed in major military operations in Venezuela, the Administration will come to Congress in advance to ask for an authorization of force,” Young said in a statement.
He added that Secretary of State Marco Rubio, one of the top Trump officials involved in the discussions related to Venezuela, would appear before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to testify on the matter.
This is a breaking news report. More to follow…



