USA

Has Meghan Markle’s return to acting been cancelled? Duchess of Sussex has offer to star in Guy Ritchie’s Netflix series The Gentlemen ‘withdrawn due to backlash’

MEGHAN Markle’s return to acting has reportedly been ‘cancelled’ amid critism over plans to cast her in the third season of The Gentlemen.

Royal author Tina Brown claimed last night that an offer for the Duchess of Sussex to appear in Guy Ritchie’s hit Netflix show had been withdrawn after the reaction in Britain became too ‘intense’.

Ms Brown said: ‘I learned that the casting of Meghan Markle has been withdrawn. The backlash was so intense it became untenable to go forward.’

In her ‘Fresh Hell’ Substack newsletter, the author wrote: ‘This does not bode well for Meghan’s acting comeback.’

Just four years ago. Meghan insisted she had no plans to return to acting. In 2022, she told Variety magazine: ‘I’m done. I guess never say never but my intention is to absolutely not.’

Now, however, her return to the screen has been touted by sources ‘close to the duchess’ as one of the reasons she and Prince Harry are returning to Britain.

But commentators have suggested that any acting role for Meghan and a subsequent return to the spotlight could be problematic both for the Sussexes and the Royal Family in general.

Baroness Wheatcroft, speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, said: ‘The first thing any actress wants is publicity and Meghan may be a good actress. She is certainly going to be offered roles but she has to be very careful when the inevitable interviews come along not to embarrass the royals.’

Meghan Markle’s much-touted return to acting has been ‘cancelled’ it has been claimed

In 2022, Meghan said she had no plans to return to acting, however, earlier this week sources close to her said she was in 'advance discussions' to star in season three of the hit show

In 2022, Meghan said she had no plans to return to acting, however, earlier this week sources close to her said she was in ‘advance discussions’ to star in season three of the hit show

Before marrying Harry, Meghan enjoyed a successful seven-season run as Rachel Zane in the legal drama Suits. She reportedly earned around $40,000 per episode by the time her final episode aired in April 2018 – just one month before she walked down the aisle at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor.

Meghan has a small cameo in the upcoming film Close Personal Friends, starring Brie Larson and Lily Collins. But a source connected with the project described the appearance to The Mail on Sunday as little more than fleeting. A role in Ritchie’s The Gentlemen would have marked a far more significant return to acting.

Last night Netflix declined to comment while a spokesman for the duchess refused to confirm or deny that the offer had been withdrawn.

The possibility of Meghan appearing in the show emerged last week with sources claiming she was in ‘advanced discussions’ about joining the third season.

The Gentleman, based on Ritchie’s 2019 film of the same name, follows an English aristocrat who discovers that the estate he has inherited conceals a lucrative marijuana-growing operation.

The second season arrives on Netflix next month.

Reports that Ritchie was considering creating a role for Meghan were met with an immediate torrent of online criticism.

On Netflix’s Instagram account for The Gentlemen, one viewer warned: ‘If Guy Ritchie hires Markle to go on Season 3, his ratings will drop fast.’

Another wrote: ‘Many will boycott The Gentlemen if MM is in the cast. I loved the series but cannot watch the new series if she is in it.’

Others said they would refuse to watch the programme ‘out of principle’, citing anger over Meghan’s claims about her treatment by the Royal Family.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Meghan and Harry intended to move from the US to Britain with their children Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Meghan and Harry intended to move from the US to Britain with their children Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five 

Meghan's best-known acting role is as Rachel Zane in the legal television drama Suits. (Pictured here with co-star Patrick J. Adams)

Meghan’s best-known acting role is as Rachel Zane in the legal television drama Suits. (Pictured here with co-star Patrick J. Adams)

A source at Disney studios told The MoS last night: ‘Every so often people around [Hollywood] get calls about whether there are any gigs for Meghan but she’s a polarising choice… She’s not someone I would want in one of my shows because you’re alienating a large part of your audience before you shoot a single frame.’

Tina Brown believes the duchess may have become too toxic for mainstream TV roles.

The author of The Diana Chronicles and The Palace Papers told the MoS: ‘The backlash was too intense for Ritchie to proceed.’

Meghan and Harry signed a $100million five-year deal with Netflix in 2020, but that lapsed last year with the streaming giant declining to renew it. Their Harry & Meghan docuseries was the most-viewed in Netflix history, but subsequent projects failed. The lifestyle show ‘With Love, Meghan’ attracted mixed reviews and was not renewed, while Harry’s ‘Polo’ series was a flop.

But the MoS has learned that Meghan could find success in the theatre. Mark Borkowski, a West End PR expert, said: ‘I’ve had two West End managements calling me up for a PR view on if they should approach Meghan… They were asking if she would sell tickets and I told them absolutely.’

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “dailymail

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading