World

Israeli airstrikes kill at least 13 in Lebanon as drone strikes near Beirut leave four dead

Israeli drone strikes south of Beirut on Saturday killed four people, while a series of airstrikes across southern Lebanon claimed at least 13 lives, including a man and his 12-year-old daughter, state media and the Health Ministry reported.

These attacks mark a significant escalation since a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah came into effect on 17 April, a truce both sides have consistently violated with daily assaults.

Two of Saturday’s drone strikes targeted the highway linking Beirut with the southern port city of Sidon, wounding several.

A third strike occurred on a road leading to Lebanon’s Chouf region, killing three, the state-run National News Agency added. An Associated Press journalist observed a body on the highway in the town of Saadiyat.

The latest violence follows an Israeli air force strike on Wednesday night in a southern suburb, where Israel claimed to have killed a senior Hezbollah military official – the first such strike near the capital since the ceasefire.

The Health Ministry said an Israeli airstrike on the southern village of Saksakiyeh killed at least seven, including a child, and wounded 15. The ministry said this was an initial count.

The agency reported strikes in southern Lebanon, including one on the village of Bourj Rahhal that killed three and another in Maifadoun that killed one.

The Health Ministry, meanwhile, said three Israeli drone strikes killed a Syrian man who was riding a motorcycle with his 12-year-old daughter in the city of Nabatiyeh.

The ministry said that after the initial strike, the man and his daughter managed to move away from the site only to be attacked again by the drone instantly killing the man.

The girl then moved about 100 meters (yards) away and was hit again by the drone after she had been already wounded. The girl later died in a hospital, NNA said.

“The Ministry of Public Health denounces this barbaric targeting and the deliberate violence against civilians and children in Lebanon,” the ministry said in its statement added that the strike marks an ongoing series “of grave violations of International Humanitarian Law.”

The Israeli military said Hezbollah fired explosive drones into Israel near the border with Lebanon adding that three soldiers were wounded, one of them seriously, in one of the attacks.

It added that Hezbollah fired drones inside Lebanon as well in which one hit an Israeli vehicle without inflicting casualties.

Hezbollah claimed several attacks inside Lebanon as well as firing a drone at an Israeli military post in the northern town of Misgav Am.

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “independent”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading