Sports

‘Shocked and gutted’ Harry Maguire is AXED from England’s World Cup squad as Thomas Tuchel prepares to name 26-man group – with a centre back not picked since last summer in line for a call

Harry Maguire has not been picked in the England squad for this summer’s World Cup by manager Thomas Tuchel.

Tuchel names his 26-man squad for the tournament tomorrow morning – and Maguire is not on his list.

The Manchester United star, 33, is understood to be incredulous at the decision.

‘I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had,’ Maguire said.

‘I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best.’

Levi Colwill, the 23-year-old Chelsea centre back who has missed most of this season with an ACL injury, was named on Tuchel’s 55-man long list last week and is in contention to be picked on Friday. 

Maguire has just signed a new contract at United after turning his career around this season under manager Michael Carrick.

Harry Maguire is not in Thomas Tuchel’s World Cup squad – to be announced on Friday

Tuchel has difficult decisions to make ahead of taking England to the United States

Tuchel has difficult decisions to make ahead of taking England to the United States

But he continues to have the shadow of a Mykonos police assault case hanging over him from 2020.

Earlier this year the prosecutors behind his conviction in Greece called for him to not be allowed to go to the World Cup after he was handed a 15-month suspended sentence.

Maguire was found guilty of non-serious assault, resisting arrest and attempted bribery in relation to the incident six years ago following a retrial in the Greek Criminal Appeal Court on the island of Syros in March and has called the case a shambles and said he plans to appeal.

In a statement to Daily Mail Sport, Ioannis Paradissis, the lawyer for the police officers who claimed they were injured trying to arrest Maguire, said: ‘Our clients’ position is that, in light of his conviction and the fact that he now has a criminal record for violent crimes — even if he lodges an appeal on points of law only — Mr Maguire should not be permitted to continue representing higher-level sports teams, including participation in the Premier League or international competitions such as the World Cup.

‘We also understand there is a game scheduled in the United States. Since he now holds a criminal record, it is highly unlikely he would be granted a visa or ESTA. This would, in any event, prevent him from travelling to or competing there and thus be a problem for his team.’

Maguire, who has earned 66 caps for England, has represented the Three Lions at three major tournaments but was also left out of England’s squad for Euro 2024 after failing to recover from an injury.

The defender has featured in all of England’s matches at the last two World Cups, helping the Three Lions to reach the semi-finals at Russia 2018 and the quarter-finals of Qatar 2022.

Chelsea's Levi Colwill could be in line for a call-up, just weeks after returning from an ACL injury

Chelsea’s Levi Colwill could be in line for a call-up, just weeks after returning from an ACL injury

However, Maguire has featured in just three of England’s internationals since Euro 2024.

He started in the first match of Lee Carsley’s interim spell against the Republic of Ireland in September 2024.

Maguire’s only appearances under Tuchel came in the most recent international friendlies in March.

The Man United defender played the duration of a 1-1 draw with Uruguay, as well as seven minutes of a 1-0 home defeat by Japan. 



  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “dailymail

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading