Australians set to lose television station in a matter of weeks: ‘Soon it will be like back in the ’80s when we had two channels’

Thousands of viewers in country areas across Australia will lose access to some of Channel 10’s most popular shows from July.
Programs like MasterChef Australia, I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! and Deal or No Deal will be dropped from regional broadcaster WIN’s free-to-air schedule.
The areas impacted include the Mount Gambier and Riverland districts of South Australia, and Griffith in NSW.
It is estimated that 90,000 viewers will no longer see some of their favourite shows once the change takes place.
The channels losing transmission in the targeted regions include Channel 10, 10 Drama, 10 Comedy and Nickelodeon, reported Media Week on Tuesday.
Viewers will still be able to access Channel 10 content via the network app.
Thousands of viewers in country areas across Australia will lose access to some of Channel 10’s most popular shows from July. Pictured: Hosts of I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!
According to reports, WIN are withdrawing Channel 10’s content because it is no financially viable to continue their program program supply agreement. Pictured: Deal or No Deal
A spokesperson from Channel 10 told the publication that they were ‘disappointed’ with WIN’s decision.
‘We know this change is a real and unfair disruption for many regional viewers, especially those with limited internet access or less familiarity with streaming technology,’ they said.
‘We are disappointed by WIN’s decision to stop broadcasting Network 10 in the Riverland, Mount Gambier and Griffith markets.
‘As more advertising shifts to digital platforms, it is important for the Government to continue to support regional broadcasters so that essential local services communities rely on can be maintained.’
WIN has previously had deals with Channel 10, and Channel Nine and Channel Seven to transmit their content via free-to-air in regional markets.
According to reports, WIN is withdrawing Channel 10’s content because it is no longer financially viable.
Previously, WIN had withdrawn Channel 10’s content in the Mildura region in 2024, and in 2025, they briefly cut Channel Seven content.
WIN had originally signed a Program Supply Agreement with Channel 10 in 2016, which was supposed to end after five years.
Programs like MasterChef Australia and Deal or No Deal will be dropped from regional broadcaster WIN’s free-to-air schedule. Pictured: MasterChef Australia
The most recent agreement terminates on June 30.
Viewers have been quick to slam WIN’s decision.
Commented one viewer online: ‘What about the elderly who don’t have a smart TV or the internet?’
‘I have clients who like watching the 10 network; they don’t have streaming or internet, so this won’t be good,’ added another.
Another person agreed, ‘Soon it will be like back in the ’80s when we had two channels… I feel for the people who aren’t tech-savvy and people who can’t afford to pay for internet.’



