Sports

Sydney Swans players stood down and will not be allowed to play for the rest of the season

Sydney Swans players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection for the remainder of the AFL season. 

‘Sydney Swans players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection for the remainder of the 2026 AFL Season,’ the club said in a statement.

‘The AFL is supportive of the Club’s sanctions. We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this.’

The stand down comes as police continue their investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving Sydney Swans players at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel.

The allegations stem from a dispute involving a woman over a perceived breach of her personal boundaries at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel. 

The team was in Melbourne following its 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday, with the Pullman located 200m from the stadium. 

A player had arranged for at least two women to come to the hotel in the early hours of Monday, the source said, after more than six Swans had been out for dinner and drinks following the team’s win.

Players reportedly returned to the hotel in several groups between about 2.15am and 3.40am, with some allegedly seen yelling on the street.

Sydney Swans players Riley Bice, Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney and James Jordon

The women at the centre of the allegations reportedly arrived after 4am.

A commotion allegedly erupted inside one of the players’ rooms after a woman claimed an understanding about what was ‘off limits’ had been violated.

One of the women then left the room and went downstairs, where she confronted staff from the club and hotel.

People in the hotel lobby heard a visibly upset woman tell staff she had been ‘inappropriately touched’.

Victoria Police subsequently attended the hotel and confirmed officers were investigating a report of sexual assault. 

Heeney, Warner, Jordon and Bice were interviewed by police as part of the investigation. 

‘Police spoke to a number of people at the hotel, however no one has been arrested or formally interviewed at this time,’ police said. 

Daily Mail does not suggest any of the players are under investigation or involved in any wrongdoing, just that they spoke to police about the alleged incident.

The five players reportedly drove back to Sydney on Monday night to avoid media at the airport. 

Swans coach Dean Cox was also reportedly out drinking with staff and returned to the hotel sometime after midnight. 

He was grilled by television reporters as he arrived at Swans headquarters in Moore Park for club crisis talks shortly after 7am on Tuesday.

‘Obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened,’ Cox said.

‘I understand the questions and we’ll update as we gather more information.’

The Swans play North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday – with the five players ruled out. 

  • For more: Elrisala website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “dailymail

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Discover more from Elrisala

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading